Thursday, December 18, 2008

Flour Tortillas

Learning how to make good (i.e., EDIBLE) flour tortillas was my new year's resolution for 2008. I know, I aim a little low ... or so I thought.

In my past endeavors, Mr. Wizard would try a bite or two and proclaim: "Too floury." or "Too doughy." or "Not enough salt." or "Too salty." etc., etc. But last night, miracle of miracles, he took a bite, then buttered it up and ate the whole thing. And after he was finished, he went back and got another one!

So after many, many tries, I am pleased to report that I think I finally got the recipe and ingredients right, and learned how long to let the dough rest before cooking them. I found that if you don't let the dough rest enough, they're nearly impossible to roll out--too elasticky. And they don't taste just right. It's a much finer art than I had anticipated.

You'd think after all this mixing and rolling that I could at least roll the little suckers into perfect round circles. Most of the time they're round enough, but there are still some that more closely resemble letters of the alphabet than circles ... I have the same problem with pie crusts. I'll have to keep practicing. And at least now that I've hit on the right recipe I can eat the mistakes. Past tries have lined my kitchen trash can, sad to say.

But now, if I'm not there yet, at least I'm on the road to success. Yum!

1 comment:

Fandango Travelers said...

I call my flour tortillas "Name the States". Seems like they always all get eaten though! Micah really likes them if they have the burned bubbles. Of course, he has the real deal Mexican Abuela to make his! I miss cooking and food most off all now.

 

Made by Lena