Sunday, August 3, 2008

Mercado Hidalgo (or Sensory Overload)

I remember when my son graduated from high school, a family friend gave him a Dr. Seuss book, Oh, the Places You’ll Go!, and an atlas. I always thought that was the perfect gift combination for a youngster about to go out on his own. (Well, not really ‘on his own,’ but you get my drift.) Thanks, Pat!

That’s kind of the way I feel here, thousands of miles from family and friends, experiencing new adventures complete with sights, sounds, smells and surprising occurrences.

Yesterday I went to Guanajuato's famous market, Mercado Hidalgo, in the heart of the city. It’s a huge building, and if there were such a thing as a city block in Guanajuato, it’d take up a whole one. Its exterior looks a lot like a European train station.

But on the inside, it’s anything but.

This is the ‘typical’ Mexican market, with cheesy souvenirs, colorful clothing and gift items, leather goods, yummy food and drinks, and fresh fruits and vegetables. There are more delicious smells contained within this building than anywhere I’ve ever been. If you close your eyes and inhale, it’s hard to tell where you are, there are so many different aromas competing for your attention. It makes me feel like I’m ten again and at the carnival.

In the produce areas I always smell the fresh cilantro and onions first; it’s a very comforting smell. Get closer and the smell of fragrant mangoes, citrus and peppers wafts right into your nose-holes.

Around the food booths, there’s the smell of salsas, seafood sopas, roasting meat, carnitas (my favorite), and warm bolillos (chewy bread rolls) begging you to come hither. Walk down by the leather goods and take a deep breath, and you think you’ve stumbled upon a herd of chaps-clad cowboys.

I have to admit that I do usually avoid the butcher shops in the back of the building. Now, there's a smell that I really don't cotton to even though I am a meat-eater. I just don't like the smell of it raw. Yuck.

I love this market, because there’s always something going on, either inside or out. There’s always music and there’s always lots of chatter between vendors and customers, or between vendors and vendors. And everything moves at its own pace. It’s almost like being in another country! (wrote the silly gringa)

Some of the vendors are friendly and fun.

To others, it’s just, well, it’s just a job. ("Is it quitting time yet? And when are all these crazy turistas going home?")

There are two level at the mercado: the ground level and the second level that circles around the edges of the building. There are three staircases that lead up to the second level, for your shopping convenience.

But everywhere it’s a fiesta for the senses … next time I go back I'll get a couple of bolillos! Don't know why I didn't the first time ...

No comments:

 

Made by Lena