Thursday, August 7, 2008

¡Cuidado!

The wireless signal to my apartment in Guanajuato has been flaking out on me lately, and it's been strange to not have Internet access to any world or local news events (I have no television or radio), although I'm sure the world is not missing me. No news of the presidential race in the States, no weather updates, and I have no clue what Britney Spears and Paris Hilton are up to! Thankfully.

The good news is that I've had quality time to study Spanish and work on building up my vocabulary in that lovely language. There are so many words that are similar to their English counterparts, you'd think that would make it easier, but it really doesn't. Those old pronunciation habits have a way of shining through no matter how much I try to roll my "R" or slip into that Spanish rhythm.

And, as in English, there are so many Spanish words with double meanings. I think it's oddly appropriate that the word for "I hope" (espero) is the same word for "I wait." Because isn't that usually the way it is? I mean, you wouldn't wait if you didn't have hope, right?

Last night I noticed a dark object on the floor at the corner of my bed. Thinking it was a torn piece of dark fabric, I reached down to pick it up. Just in time I realized that it was alive! Yipes! I hadn't even suspected a scorpion! (Guess I've been away from the desert too long.)

I was glad that he posed long enough to have his picture taken, and then I took care of him. From now on, you can bet that I'll be checking my shoes before putting them on. Ouch!

No comments:

 

Made by Lena