Sunday, March 15, 2009

Desert Rebirth


What a beautiful day this last day of my abbreviated spring break has been! The sunshine has been wonderful today ... and the vegetation around here is responding to the warmer temps and recent rainfall.

The giant cow-tongue prickly pear that grows in our 'front' yard is sprouting all kinds of growth--soon to be red tunas and new plump pads.

The elongated pads are what gives this particular variety of prickly pear its unusual name. I had called it donkey-ear cactus until I was corrected by a longtime local.

Bees are buzzing around the mesquite that's covered with furry caterpillar-looking blooms. When the mesquite leafs out, spring is supposed to be well on its way.

And this is a lush, lovely orchid--not! It's a close-up of a cenizo bloom (see photo below). It's been awhile since our cenizo's flowered.

Cenizos typically bloom when the humidity's high. This past week we had three consecutive days of 100-percent humidity, a desert rarity.

And this lovely little red bud-like thingy will turn into a pomegranate after it flowers. Last year our scrawny little tree gave us a record 31 pomegranates. Yum! Another eight, close to the ground, went to the javelinas.

And the oleanders are starting to bud out, too. They always add a splash of color to the place, and, along with the pomegranate, attract hummingbirds. Although they're fascinated by them, the kitties are scared to death of hummingbirds.

Unfortunately, when the cottonwoods start sending out shoots, it means trimming time. These poor little guys don't stand a chance.

3 comments:

Jocelyn said...

How beautiful! What kind of camera are you using to take all your great shots?

maewestern said...

Why, thank you! Most of the time I use my old Canon Rebel XT--it's got more miles on it than the Element! That's what I used for this post.

Jocelyn said...

Well you inspired me today when I was at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center... you'll have to go check out my pics.

Scott (my hubby) says I'm way too in love with F2.

 

Made by Lena