Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Rare Privilege

I voted today. Early. Today's the only early voting day down here in Terlingua; I think most other polling places in Texas get a week or two, but that's ok. I got to visit with friends at the community center and then I marked a real paper ballot, folded it up and put it in the ballot box. And then I visited some more.

I love voting in Terlingua. It's a social event, just like going to the post office or bank or store or restaurant.

I'm thankful that I have the privilege (only because I had the luck to be born here!) to have a voice in selecting our country's leader. Now, along with everyone else, I'll see if I 'picked a winner' on November 4. Oh, please ... let's not have to wait like we did in 2000 --until 2001.

Election Day 2000 fell on my birthday. And since Toni Price was still playing Tuesdays at Austin's Continental Club, it was the perfect place for my 29th birthday (yes, again). It was a cold, rainy night and as we drove home, I thought, 'well, looks like we'll have to wait 'til tomorrow to see who wins.' Sheesh, was I ever wrong!

But, whatever the outcome of this year's long, long, long presidential election, I will support the man we elect. Whoever wins, it's important that we all pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and face the future knowing that it won’t be easy. There are a lot of problems that we have been avoiding for too long. It is time to stop avoiding the future and to start shaping it in a way that is good for our citizens, our country, and our world. Working together, we can get it done, even if it takes a long, long, long time.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena