Wednesday, July 30, 2008

The Sun's Out!

This is what happens when I buy an umbrella.

The sun finally came out today and stayed out, although right about now I can see some thunderclouds building up. I hope I didn't type too soon ...

Even though my little apartment is perched up on the hill in La Valenciana (just outside Guanajuato), there are sounds of activity all around as neighbors take advantage of this short-lived dry spell.

I took advantage, myself, and shot a few photos before heading to Celia’s office. The grounds here at the school are nothing short of beautiful. So beautiful, in fact, that I sometimes wonder if living in the desert was the right choice. But then I look in the mirror and see my hair frizzed up from all this humidity, and say, “Nah!” I know I’m a desert gal. I’ve known that a long time, maybe since my very first trip to the Big Bend when I was 15.

Let’s see that was how many years ago? No way. I can’t even count that high. And I probably wouldn't tell you if I could.

Instead, I’ll share some of the photos I snapped of the school grounds so you can feel jealous. Just keep in mind, the humidity’s above 90 percent, okay? Put on a hat.


The is the gate to the courtyard behind my apartment. Come on in!


It all looks very peaceful and tranquil, doesn't it? You'd never know that there's lots going on outside these garden walls: neighbors hammering and nailing (isn't that the same thing), children screeching and playing, big trucks going "beep beep beep" as they back up, dogs barking, you name it.

And if you look really closely at the photo above, you can see part of my little balcony on the fourth floor. It's behind that mesquite tree.

These are the steps leading to the door of the office where I spend my mornings. Answering emails and the phone. Practicing Spanish, taking Spanish lessons, chatting with the teachers and students. It's a happy place.

No comments:

 

Made by Lena